Not Howl's Castle

We started the process by cutting up the tin to build our main structural piece. The bottom boat piece is cut and folded metal along with rolled metal tubes on the inside for the support base for the top section of the sculpture. Masking tape was used to hold some of the metal in place, but tabs and holes cut into the metal holds together most of the metal base. We then added more armature made from the metal tin and the roll of masking tape. We added the wooden half circles with holes drilled into them, to the armature for a base for the wings for later in the process. Those were attached with a small amount of the glue stick and masking tape. We cut off pieces of the large square wood piece to add more base structure. We then stuffed the paper provided around the armature and wrapped masking tape around it to hold it in place. At this point we poured plaster shapes and let them dry, we set them aside to be carved into detail pieces later. We then rolled several tubes out of the metal tin to use for turrets. The tubes were rolled around one of the wooden dowels and then tabs and holes were cut into the sides to hold the tubes together. At this point we took the plaster cloth and cut it into strips to cover the armature to make the top island part of our structure that sits on top of the lower boat like section. We used some of the flat wooden disks for bases for some of the houses and round turret piece. We had left over plaster from pouring the shapes so we coated the plaster cloth with a layer of plaster paste. The air-dry clay was used to sculpt on detail parts directly to the armature. The bottom part of the jaw, cliff landscape around the houses, the front tower, the walkways, and detail around the observation tower were all sculpted out of the big pack of air dry clay and the two mini sculpt-it packets. The wings were made out of the paper, metal strips from the tin, the white straws and Elmer’s glue. The metal strips where laid out between two pieces of the paper and the coated in several layers of Elmer’s glue. The masts were made out of wooden dowels drilled into the base, the sails attached to the masts were cut out of the canvas and then coated in Elmer’s glue so the canvas would not fray. The tooth pick size wood was attached to the top of the sails with a strip of metal glued in to add support. The extra metal hanging off the ends of the sails were used to wrap around the dowels to attach the sails to the mast. The trees on the island were made from strips of the felt soaked in glue wrapped around the provided wire. Once the plaster had dried we carved them into the shapes of the houses and dome. The plaster houses were attached to the armature by carving holes in the main structure for a base of support to rest on, and then Elmer’s glued to the structure to hold them in place. Most of the thing glued on with the Elmer’s had to be placed and then held on with the masking tape until dry. For the eyes on the front, we took one of the wooden balls and a marble and painted them, one like a window observation deck and one like a telescope lens. Then they were placed the metal tubes we had created earlier. Holes were drilled out into the main base to stick the finished tubes into the face. On the face of the structure metal wire was cut into small pieces and bent into staple shapes. Then horizontal rows of holes were drilled and the wire pieces stuck into the holes to form the staple detail on the face. The wooded house on the back was glued on with some of the glue stick and covered in canvas that was pulled apart into threaded pieces and layered to form the thatch look. The lookout tower used the cork and other marble glued together with some sculpted details. The lookout and the owl on the top of the masts were carved out of the fat wooden dowel. The propeller on the end used more of the metal tin for the blades, and the clear tube for the center piece. We shredded and fluffed up more of the felt for the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes and the clouds on the base of the castle. At this point everything was mostly attached so it was time to add paint. Most of it was brushed on using various techniques such as dry brushing, washes, and stippling, but a few areas like the initials and eye lines used a paint pen. Some of the tools we used were wire clippers, pliers, sanding sticks, sand paper, a dremel, glue gun for the provided glue stick, paintbrushes, exacto blades, scissors, tin snips, files, metal dental tools for sculpting,