Mystery Build 2014 Competition
"Build A Dream"
Official Contest Rules and Regulations
The 2014 Mystery Build Art Contest is open only to residents of the U.S. and Canada. Void where prohibited. Awards won by participants or teams under the age of 18 will be distributed to their respective legal guardians or other persons 18 or older.
Purchasing a Mystery Build Entry Kit
Mystery Build Kits are available for purchase beginning 11/01/13 and ending on 10/30/14, or while supplies last. Purchase a Kit online at www.mysterybuild.com or from an authorized Mystery Build distributor, outlet, or sales representative.
To Enter the Contest
Entrants must create an original work of art (creative object, construction, experiment, video, concept or other creative presentation) using ONLY the 2014 Mystery Build Kit and its contents as materials. The completed entry must be submitted to the Mystery Build Art Contest (www.mysterybuild.com) using an assigned Username and Password between 11/01/13 and 10/20/14. Entrants must complete a Submission Form at www.mysterybuild.com and upload photographs and/or video of the finished contest entry, as well as photographs or video of the entry in progress, and a written description of the project and process of creation. Entrants may work as individuals or as a team. Teams must assign a representative to compete for prizes.
Requirements of Entry
* Contest entries must be composed of ONLY the materials provided in the 2014 Mystery Build Kit (see exceptions). Entrants are not required to use all of the materials in the Kit. Entrants may not add any additional, alternate, or substitute materials to their entry. Entrants may use the Mystery Build Kit box (container) itself, the plastic shrink wrap surrounding it, and anything inside the box, including individual product packaging. Entrants MAY NOT USE ANY SHIPPING OR PACKAGING MATERIALS found outside of the printed Mystery Build Box (such as the outer cardboard shipping box, shipping labels, bubble wrap, or packing paper) as elements of their contest entries.
* The contest entry must relate to, convey, or express the theme of the 2014 Mystery Build Art Contest, "Build a Dream".
* Entrants must upload unaltered photographs and/or videos (follow directions at www.mysterybuild.com) of the entry to the contest website at www.mysterybuild.com. Entrants must complete a Mystery Build 2014 Contest Submission Form at www.mysterybuild.com including their assigned unique Username and Password, the title of their entry, a description of the entry, and the techniques used to create it. The contest submission deadline is 10/20/14 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
* Entrants must designate one (1) photograph or video of the finished entry to be the primary representation of their project for the Public Voting Gallery.
* Entrants must submit a minimum of five (5) photographs of the entry in progress that clearly show that the entry was created using only the materials in the Mystery Build Kit. A video clearly showing the process of the entry's creation may be submitted in place of the 5 photographs. More than 5 photos or one video can be uploaded. Follow the instructions for uploading at www.mysterybuild.com
* Entrants may purchase multiple Mystery Build Kits and enter multiple times, however the contents of multiple Mystery Build Kits MAY NOT be combined into a single contest entry. Entrants may only enter one (1) entry per Mystery Build Kit (with unique Username and Password).
* If the entrant manipulates the materials in a very drastic manner (such as burning), and it is not reasonably perceptible that the materials used in the entry are components of the provided Mystery Kit, the entrant will be required to provide evidence (photographic or other) of the technique or process used.
* Contest entries cannot be obscene, indecent, or contain profanities. Entries must be suitable for all ages and for replication/display.
* Photographs and videos must be an accurate representation of the entry and may not be substantively digitally altered. Entries may be disqualified if they include special effects or other digital treatments that enhance or alter the appearance of the physical entry (such as alterations in Photoshop). Some modifications are permitted like cropping, color correction, or adding descriptive text. Photo composites can be made combining multiple views in one image file, and basic video editing is permitted. Judges will have final ruling on whether or not an photo or video has been altered improperly.
EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULES:
* Entrants MAY ADD LIQUIDS including paint, varnish, lacquer, food coloring, oil, water, dye, ink, and more, to decorate or enhance the entry, or to manipulate the kit materials. Liquids MAY NOT be used for major structural elements, and may only be used as a surface treatment, enhancement, decoration, or as a tool (like bending wood with water). Liquids may not be used to create new solid masses (like creating an object with resin or dried paint) or to create extremely heavy textures. Judges will have final ruling on use of liquids.
* Entrants MAY ADD LIQUID ADHESIVES including glue, resin, epoxy, spray adhesive, polyurethane, silicone, hot melt glue, and other liquids or gels. Adhesives MAY NOT be used for creating solid objects, and must be used solely to join materials or as a surface treatment.
* Entrants may use any tools available to them to alter the materials in the Mystery Build Kit, barring tools that add or leave behind an additional solid physical material, such as a stapler which leaves a metal staple, or a soldering operation which adds solder. Entrants may make tools out of materials not included in the kit, as long as no physical part of that tool remains in the final entry. Tools may include casting molds, stencils, and more, which do not have to be made of materials from the Kit.
* Entries may be photographed or filmed with a background/foreground environment or setting, which may contain materials not included in the Kit. For example, a sculpture of a boat may be photographed at a lake, or an entry may be photographed on a table or against a wall. The background MAY NOT contain objects created by the participant using materials outside of the Kit, but some staging of natural or found objects will be permitted for purposes of presenting the entry. The entry must be the primary focus of the photograph or video. Backgrounds will not be judged as part of the constructed entry. Judges will have final ruling on whether or not an entry has used backgrounds or project settings improperly.
$21,000 in prize money will be awarded in 2014. The following prizes are guaranteed regardless of the number of entries received. Prizes will be awarded in the form a check written in the name of the entrant, or legal guardian if under 18.
Nationwide exposure - Winning entries and artist info will be displayed on Mystery Build websites and promotions.
Mystery Build reserves the right to increase or add prizes by unlimited amounts at any time whatsoever.
Beginning on 11/01/14 through 11/20/14 ("Voting Period"), follow the instructions on www.mysterybuild.com to view and vote for contest entries. Voting is open to everyone regardless of age or nationality. Limit (1) one vote per person/IP address per day, per entry. Multiple voters may not share the same IP address. The entry that receives the highest number of votes will win the "People's Choice Award". In the event of a tie, the judges will declare the winner. Judges decisions are final. Employees, officers, directors and agents of Mystery Build and members of the immediate family or persons living in the same household of such individuals, are not eligible to participate in Voting. Winning the People's Choice Award does not disqualify an entry from winning other prizes.
Any attempt by an entrant to vote unfairly, or to vote more than once per day, may void that entry and that entrant may be disqualified. Use of script, macro or any other automated system to vote is prohibited and all such votes will be void. Entrants are prohibited from obtaining votes for their entry by any fraudulent or inappropriate means. Entrants may share their entry, documents, files, and experiences on websites, forums, networks, etc, after the submission deadline has passed, to promote their project for voting.
Mystery Build representatives will screen all entries for eligibility for judging. Beginning on 11/01/14, an independent, qualified panel of judges will judge all eligible entries based on the following criteria:
* Creativity and Use of Materials - The originality of the entry and use of the materials provided. Are materials used in surprising ways? Does the entry show imagination and ingenuity?
* Creative Use of the Theme – How effectively and creatively the entry expresses the Theme – "Build a Dream". Entrants may interpret the contest's theme any way they wish. It is purposefully left open-ended.
* Execution/Craftsmanship – Quality of technique. Is the entry well executed? Does it show skill, talent, or craftsmanship?
* Presentation - The quality and originality of the photos and/or videos submitted. Is the project well documented and presented?
Prizes will be awarded according to the combined scores from the judges. In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken based upon the highest score for Creativity and continuing thereafter in each category until the tie is broken. The judges' decisions on all matters pertaining to judging, administering and interpreting the terms and conditions of this contest are final. Prize winners will be notified by phone, email or mail on or about 11/25/14. Prize money will be distributed within two weeks of successful notification and reply.
* Entrants agree to keep the specific contents of the 2014 Kit a secret until the contest period is over. After the submission deadline (10/20/14) has passed, entrants may share their projects online on any websites, networks, forums, and more.
* Entrants agree to reasonably preserve entries until award notifications are complete in the event Mystery Build requires in person verification of adherence to the official rules.
* Incomplete, unintelligible entries and entries that do not fully comply with all of the rules, criteria, and requirements set forth herein will be disqualified.
* Entries are subject at any time to verification by Mystery Build employees, officers, directors or agents. Entries may be used by Mystery Build and its employees, officers, directors or agents for promotional purposes during and after the Contest period. Being selected for promotional purposes is unrelated to the judging criteria and does not imply or guarantee selection as a prize winner in the contest.
* All tendered entries will be preliminarily, and at any time may subsequently be, screened for conformity with the Official Rules by Mystery Build and its employees, officers, directors or agents. No correspondence regarding the screening, verification, or judging status of entries will be undertaken by Mystery Build.
* Mystery Build and its employees, officers, directors and agents have the unqualified right to edit, adapt, modify, reproduce, promote and otherwise use entry elements (e.g. photos and descriptions of entries) in any way they see fit, in perpetuity without limitation or compensation to entrant.
The Fine Print
By purchasing a Mystery Build Kit, participating in the contest or art project, or submitting an entry, persons are agreeing to these terms and rules.
Mystery Build is not responsible for any damages or injuries to persons or property occurring as a result of participation in the contest or use of the Mystery Build Kit, without limitation, including serious injury or death.
Winners are responsible for payment of any income taxes on prizes under applicable federal, state and local laws. Potential Prize Winners may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability, Assignment of Rights and a Publicity Release (where legal), within 10 days of notification. Additionally, if a Grand Prize or People's Choice Winner is under 19 in NE/AL his/her parent or legal guardian will be asked to confirm prior permission and consent to Winner's participation in the Contest and agreement to the Official Rules by co-signing and returning an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability, Assignment of Rights and a Publicity Release as specified in Winner documentation (where legal). Assignment of Rights/Publicity Release documentation may additionally confirm Winner's twenty four (24) month license and associated logistics in regard to Mystery Build's retrieval and display (at Mystery Build's expense) of a Winning Entry at its corporate or other public locations with no additional compensation to the Winner and thereafter, return of sculpture to Winner. In the event that a prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, such prize will be forfeited and prize will be awarded to the next highest scoring Entry, at Mystery Build's sole discretion.
By participating, Entrants release the Sponsor (Mystery Build by Pixel and Steel LLC), their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies and each of their respective directors, officers, agents and employees (Released Parties), from any and all liability with respect to participation in the Contest or the acceptance or use (or misuse) of any prize or the participation in any prize-related activities or any use of the Entry. Entrants agree to release, defend, indemnify and hold harmless (Released Parties) from and against, and accept all responsibility of any kind, including but not limited to financial, for any liability, claims, losses, damages or proceedings, including but not limited for death, (including reasonable attorneys' fees) relating to any actions taken by entrants, including without limitation all warranties relating to participation and entry in the Contest and use of entrant's e-mail or other identification purporting to act on entrant's behalf in regard to the Contest (whether or not such use occurred with or without your permission). Entrants also agree to release, defend, indemnify and hold harmless the (Released Parties) from any and all liability, claims, losses, damages or proceedings, including but not limited for death (including reasonable attorneys' fees) relating to Contest prize consideration and Contest publicity, and any other matter in connection with entrants' participation in the Contest. Except where prohibited by law, by accepting prize, Winners agree to use of their first name and first initial of surname, address (city and state only), Entry and any statements made by Winners regarding the Contest or Sponsor (provided same are true) for advertising or publicity purposes worldwide without limitation, including the internet, and without compensation, and further grants Sponsor any and all rights to said use.
Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, damaged, delayed, or incomplete Entries, Entries not received by entry deadline, interrupted or unavailable network, server or other connections, miscommunications, failed telephone, computer hardware, software and other technical failures of any kind, including injury or damage to any person's computer relating to or resulting from participating in or experiencing any materials in connection with the Contest, unauthorized human intervention, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions or other errors of any kind, whether human, mechanical or electronic, including without limitation, the incorrect or inaccurate capture of entry information online regardless of cause that may limit a user's ability to participate in the contest. Sponsor reserves the right to prohibit the participation of an individual if fraud or tampering is suspected, or if the individual fails to comply with any requirement of participation as stated herein or with any provision in these official rules. INTERNET CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. Use of script, macro or any other automated system to vote is prohibited and all such votes will be void. Entrants are prohibited from obtaining votes for their Entry by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to members of the public, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Entrants/Voters are also prohibited from sabotaging the votes of other entrants' Entries through inappropriate means. If a participant engages in any of the aforementioned acts, his/her votes will be void, and his/her Entry will be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify Contest if fraud, misconduct or technical failures compromise the integrity or fairness of the promotion; or if a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper administration of the Contest as determined by Sponsor/judging agency/administrator, in their sole discretion. In the event of cancellation, a notice will be posted online, entries received prior to termination will be judged and prizes awarded from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the event requiring cancellation. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same email address. Any attempt by an entrant to use multiple/different email addresses for public voting will void that entrant's entries and that entrant may be disqualified. Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for Raleigh, North Carolina or the appropriate North Carolina State Court; (ii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out- of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest but in no event attorneys' fees; and (iii) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of North Carolina.
Employees, officers, directors and agents of Mystery Build and members of the immediate family or persons living in the same household of such individuals, are ineligible to participate. Contest is subject to all federal, state and local laws.
SPONSOR: Mystery Build by Pixel and Steel