by Jennifer Rothstein and Jennifer Rothstein and Meri Wiley for Build A Dream (2014)
Dream Caster by Jennifer Rothstein and Meri Wiley
Scissors, craft knives, Aleen's Quick dry tacky glue, acrylic paints in black, red, yellow, blue, white, fleshtone and metallic, wire cutters, paint brushes, jewelry pliers, silicon mold we created to make figurine face, heat gun, balloon and our hands.
First we opened the box and removed all the items within. Jennifer reassembled the box and attached the masonite piece as a background using glue and some of the square wooden dowels as support. She then created texture on the left side of the base and background using the bio-degradable peanuts made into a paste with water. The paste was then spread over the base and background using a stencil for pattern. Slivers of both the round foam tube and one of the square dowels were cut and used as further texture going up the left side of the background to accentuate the flow of destruction. She then covered it all in a coat of white gesso, let it dry, and then proceeded to paint the various strips of colors (black, red, gray, blue, yellow and white) to impart the idea of flow for the elements of a dream. The base was then painted with stars and a moon, around the perimeter to tie in with the theme.
Jennifer removed the stand from the art mannequin and created a dress using the canvas. She created a face piece using the bio-degradable peanuts wet down to a thick paste. After forming a mold over a porcelain doll head using mold compound, the peanut paste was then pressed into the mold and let to dry. The face was removed from the mold and adhered to the mannequin head, then painted and distressed on the left side with a heat gun to simulate destruction. We found that using a heat gun blistered the foam peanuts and this became helpful for creating a burned and destructed look. The dress was fashioned from the piece of canvas, cut and glued and then painted, along with the rest of the mannequin. The hair is comprised of thread from the bobbin (good side) and threads pulled from the piece of canvas for the bad side.
The stool that the female mannequin is sitting on was created, by Jennifer, using the original wooden base that came with the mannequin. She also used some of the square dowels for legs on the stool, after whittling them down to make them a bit more rounded. Glued at an angle, she created a three legged stool. The female mannequin was then glued in place on the stool.
DREAM ELEMENT BOXES:
Meri used the box that the mannequin came in and cut it apart into smaller pieces. She constructed small dream element boxes to coordinate with the six different element colors. These boxes are colored to match their respective element, with the three bad elements (black, red, and gray) distressed further to represent the three worst aspects of a dream such as; Black - death, Red - anger, and Gray - smoke. Meri used peanut foam paste on the edges of the three bad elements and then used the heat gun to blister them further. The boxes were then glued to the base, placed in their respective color bands. After being glued to the base, Jennifer then created fillings for each box, representing their elements. As an example; Black-death has a filling of scrunched up wire mesh, squashed foam peanuts
That are in the shape of tentacles, and are painted. Red-anger; has a filling of some of the sponge painted with red to replicate fire. The Gray-smoke; is filled with some of the cello wrap, cut into strips and then painted gray, replicating smoke. Blue-water; is filled with cello wrap spilling out and painted with white and blue as if water is pouring over the side of the box. Yellow-Happy; is sporting a smiley face which was painted on one of the round wooden disks. White-clouds; is filled with smashed foam peanuts and has two canvas butterflies springing forth. The butterflies were created by Meri with the canvas, they are painted, and short supported by cut lengths of the included wire.
DREAM ELEMENT WIRE FORMS:
Meri used pieces of the included soft wire, cut and bent to assimilate flowŁ with one wire starting from each element box and flowing into the ear. Using the included piece of paper, words representing each element were printed, cut out, and glued to each individual wire.
Meri created the head shape by blowing up a balloon and covering half of it with the plaster casting material. Once the shape set, a hole was then cut for placement of the foam ear, which was then glued in place and surrounded with additional thin cut strips of the plaster cast for stability. A half circle cut was then made in the edge and half of the plastic egg was glued in place representing an eye. Meri glued the now empty wire spool into place as the neck, and using the oil modeling clay, covered the entire piece with a thin layer and created facial features such as eyelid, eyebrow, nose, mouth and thicker neck. She also painted the inside with a thin layer of Mod Podge (glue) to stabilize. Meri then added a layer of gesso and proceeded to paint the overall piece using flesh tone paint and then painted in further features. The head was attached to the base by cutting an opening in the base and Meri created a further support dome structure using wire mesh and the rest of the plaster cast material. The head rests on this additional support structure, which is also glued to the base.
Everyone dreams, but not everyone dreams the same dream. Dreams are usually made up from many different elements or events that happen. Our piece represents that moment when all the different elements, whether good or bad, are manifested and relayed into our brain. We hope you enjoy our interpretation of "Building a Dream," and our use of the materials included. Thank you.