art-contest-maker-collage


Inner-to-Extra Humanity

   by Tim Brown and Shawna Joachim for Build A Dream (2014)

The head was formed from plaster gauze molded over a styrofoam head. We created the plaster gauze shell in two halves - front and back - so that we could remove them from the styrofoam core after drying. We then spread a thin layer of the plastilina over the outside of the dried plaster shell so as to form a smooth, shapeable skin. After the skin was smoothed, we created the hard ridges for the Android side of the face, and removed the skin from the cheek in order to add the circuitry and mechanical elements. These were made from hammering the aluminum wire flat, bending it into shape, and gluing into place. The circle at the temple and jaw hinge were parts of the mannequin. We cut the android eye from the plastic egg. When the head was ready to be taken off of the styrofoam core support, we used the few last pieces of plaster gauze to seal the front and back half together and then covered over the seam with the rest of the plastilina skin. When the head had been fully sealed and detailed, we used silver spray paint on the Android side, and flesh-tone spray paint on the human side. Features were enhanced by adding some airbrushed acrylics. Part of the skull morphs into the surface of a planet, so we made crater marks in the surface and then painted the planetary features with acrylics.

The orbiting ship was cut from the canvas board and glued together with parts from the disassembled mannequin. Embellishments were created with cardboard from the mannequin box and the foam ear. The satellite was created from part of the square dowel, cardboard from the mannequin box, and the metal mesh sheet. We used the sponge to create the meteor. We used multiple pieces of cardboard from the box to piece together the planetary rings, gluing them together to form the piece. All peripheral elements were painted with acrylics, plus we used some glitter for surface treatment on the rings.

We used the metal rod pushed through a drilled hole in the particle board and bent over at the end to secure to the bottom of the base. The styrofoam cylinder was inserted through the metal rod to provide an anchor point to attach the peripheral pieces (ship, satellite, meteor). Two square wooden rods were attached using mannequin screws to the bottom of the particle board to raise and stabilize the whole project.

Using more of the aluminum wire and box board, we created some internal support structures for the head to rest on and attach to the base. We then clipped four 18” long pieces of the wire and attached one end to each peripheral (for strength, two wires were braided to hold the heavier space ship). We drilled holes in the head's plaster shell and inserted the peripheral wires through the hollow head, and anchored them in the foam rod then slipped the head down to the base wire support structure. We painted the wires black.

Once the head was in its final position on the supporting base, we finished detailing the piece. The canvas fabric was cut into strips to use around the base of the neck. A bit of water was added to the packing peanuts to create a paste to shape the canvas pieces. The dried pieces were spray painted tan and silver, then glued to the neck and baseboard.

Space exploration to represent the not-yet-discovered, and neuroscience representing untapped human capability.

 


Gallery